Glorantha.org.uk

lan in the third age:
The Narrow Stream Clan In The Second Age Campaign Log

Part One, Getting To Know Each Other An The First Two Steads

This is the first part of the first scenario - it's been fun so far! This has not been fixed for spelling etc, and probably won't be.

===========================================================
Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:28:29 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
It is the evening of Wild Day, Movement Week, of Sea Season. It has been nine hundred and eight years since Yelm rose into the sky again and began the cycle of time. Outside the wind howls as it gusts down the valley. A storm is coming tonight, even though the last few days have had fine, warm weather.
Yesterday was the clan moot – a formality this season as there has been nothing of consequence for the people to vote on. The ring may have made a few decisions in their capacity as a court to settle disputes, but you saw nothing of that.
Today was the clan market. All the craftsmen from the various clan steads set out their wares, and the carls with surplus brought what they had to trade. There was also much drunkenness from some of the carls and cottars of the clan, with ribald singing and japes as old friends met for the first time since last season as there have been no raids because of the storms and the amount of work required on the farms.
To your surprise, you were all invited by the clan chieftain Markalor Ortossusson to feast in his hall tonight! This is an honour none of you are sure you deserve, and you are not sure about the others either. You know each other vaguely as everyone in the clan kind of knows everyone at least by sight. Yet here you are in the chieftain’s hall, feasting with the weapon thanes and worthies of the clan. Of the ring, you recognise that Kollos, Markalor’s son, and Enestaki Iskallusson the clan’s trader and speaker to other clans. Sarask the Dour are also present. You also notice a strange sight. Sitting at the chieftains table, but apparently not eating, is a man who seems to be made of bark and evergreen needles! You heard rumours of such – an elf – living on the tula in your childhood, but have known for years this was just a tale. Less strange, but a surprise all the same, a duck is present at the feast.
Ale flows, and meat and bread are plenty, yet you can’t help feeling a little out of your depth.

After the chieftain talks to you (OOC: Check your private messages) he brings the elf over to your little group and introduces him: “This is Zandalin Greatroot, a clan friend and my guest. He will join you to learn our ways. He has some of our tongue, so you can make yourselves understood. Introduce yourselves as friends.” With that he turns to another conversation.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:15:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The duck approaches the small gathering of young clansmen and elf and bows slightly "Greetings friends, they call me Keetfoot John, but just John will do. My skills, such as they are, are at the service of Narrow Stream Clan and more specifically I am delighted to aid you where I can."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:27:56 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald Orldagsson Greats Zandalin Greatroot with a small bow and gesture of the arm, “I am Hervald Orldagsson grandson of Faltikisson - pleased to meet a clan friend, ask me anything you like and please tell me anything you wish as I love to listen and learn.”

"Hail Keetfoot John, I do not believe we have met before. Interesting to have one of your race joining us."

This message was last edited by the player at 00:31, Sat 29 Mar.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:13:59 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon gazes at the Duck for a moment, and then smiles.  "I have always heard that Duck are stout fellows in a scrap.  It will be good to have you with us.  Perhaps we can soon have a grand good scrap."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:13:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Oh we can be, some of us, but we can also tell when it's time not to do so. That's what brought me here you see, my flock was being persecuted back home, almost wiped out we were. So some of us, those with no family left, decided to make a clean break.

"I travelled a long way before I found this place, your clan is rare in it's enlightened approach to my kind and the friendship you offer freely I return freely.

"I'm no great fighter, but what I can offer is some knowledge of this area. In the three seasons since Sniff and myself arrived our hunting trips have taken us over a lot of your clan lands. So you see, though I come to sell what I catch and to do the occasional Job for the clan I've not been here that often."


He turns to the elf and says "Greeting green man, an unusual patrol this will be with a Durulz and yourself alongside these men."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:48:18 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The tall conifer man stares at each of his new comrades for as long a time as it takes for a pine cone to fall from the highest branch to the ground, then speaks in an uncertain but comprehensible Theyalan: "Greetings, rootless ones. May the light of Halamalao always shine upon you. Zandalin will root with you and your company for as long as your Gardener sees fit."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:47:31 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr joins the group and addresses the outsiders: "Greetings, I am Vagryr Gothroldsson, who can work a plow as long as an ox. I am pleased to share in the honor of serving the tula with you friends of the Narrow Stream. Let us get to know eachother this evening, that we may serve together as friends."

This message was last edited by the player at 13:50, Sat 29 Mar.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:22:47 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon decides that it might be a good time to publicly debut his new set of Bagpipes.  Unfortunetly, his spirit is mightier than his skill.  OOCroll 77 skill 14

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:25:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon pumps up his pipes, but accidentally lets out an ear piercing squeal that draws the attention of everyone in the chieftain's hall.

"You'd be better to use a blade than strangle it!" leers one of the weapon thanes as he good-naturedly slaps Haakon on the back to much laughter and applause.

"Lucky we know he can use a sword," adds another. "He has yet to master that weapon," he says pointing at the pipes, "even though he seems deadly with it."

Everyone thinks this is high humour, and they move on to drunkenly discuss how one would go about hunting bear with bagpipes. Proof if it was ever needed that the intellect of a weapon thane is rarely as sharp as his sword.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:59:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald Orldagsson on hearing the wail of the bag pipes jumps out of his skin. He looks at Haakon and after thinking for a monument his expression settles on a friendly but nervous smile. He looks for a split second to be going to says something very witty but out of great respect thinks better of it. Perhaps he will save the banter for when they have got a little better acquainted.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:49:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John is intrigued by the strange item Haakon takes up but assuming it to be a waterskin of some type. However he is more than a little startled when it screeches, but when the others in the hall laugh and joke he relaxes again. The realisation comes to him what this thing is, that it's meant to create the sounds he's heard before on occasion, music of a kind, but certainly nothing like that!

"I think if it's leg's weren't so stiff, that thing would run away rather than be forced to make such a noise!" he says, joining in the fun.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:28:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Come now friends, Haakon is just practicing his part defending the clan; a noise like that would do more much to dissuade me from attacking than a score of weaponthanes." Vagryr joins in the fun.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 23:41:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Markalor comes over laughing at the wit he is hearing. "Best not pull the tail of the bull too hard," he says cryptically, "for when it turns around, the other end has horns." He laughs even harder as he walks away again as if what he has said is a joke in its own right.

One of the weapon thanes brings a fresh horn of ale for Haakon. "Here my friend, I thank you for entertaining us, though not in the way you intended. I hope you get better with your pipes. I like to hear them playing when we muster the fyrd for battle!"

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:45, Sun 30 Mar.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:25:26 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon laughs as well.  He looks around and continues "Now my cousin, that some of you may know came back from studing in the middle sea empire not so long ago.  I asked how it was, and he told me that they are very rude people."  Haakon takes a long drink before going on "I asked why that was.  He told me every night the people on both sides of his small room would pound the walls, scream and curse something terrible.  So I asked him, did he do something wrong, or bother them or some such?  And he said no, he just sat in his room by himself playing his bagpipes."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:48:51 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The weapon thane guffaws at this latest joke. “Ah, the traditional ones are the best, no?” he says after spilling more ale than is seemly. “Just think... those stupid town people making all that noise while your cousin tries to practice. How ignorant!”
Once again, you are left with the feeling that this guy is tough, but dull.

[Private to Haakon Great Ax: You remember this weapon thane - his name is Brand, and you know him quite well from lots of combat practice. He is one of the tougher warriors of the clan, but as advertised, is no hand at thinking.]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:57:20 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John laughs along for a while before taking on a more serious expression "So, you are a follower of the Bull, a great warrior indeed then, though it is rightly said that all Orlanthi are great warriors.

"And you Vagryr, from your words of greeting I take it that you farm the land as well as protect it. What of the rest of Hervald, where do your skills lie and Zandalin, I know little of your folk, though I've heard rumours that your kind are very good with a bow?"
he says looking the elf up and down and paying particular attention to his bow. (assuming you have one on you?)

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:13:26 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
A Vronkali is not better at shooting with his bow than a Durulz is at swimming with his webbed feet. It ain't no weapon, just the farthest reaching branch of a tall fir.

This message was last edited by the player at 19:14, Sun 30 Mar.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:00:24 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald Orldagsson faces Keetfoot John but addresses the hole group “I am a talker and a trader, I guess my first duty in the groupe is to understand and help Zandalin Greatroot I must admit I have had no dealings with elf kind and little with ducks for that matter.” Hervald nods with his head once at John and smiles.” I guess on the morrow I will learn as we all will what my precise task will be; mediator, peacemaker, and trader I do not know but I am sure as a band we can work most problems out.”

This message was last edited by the player at 21:01, Sun 30 Mar.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:57:22 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon looks around at the group "Have any of us skill with healing magic?  I have some small skill with magic, but not a real healing spell, , just what my gramma taught me, and I can render a wound not incapacitating, by the power of great Urox.  But that is expensive, and not easy to recover.  Anyomne else?"  Haakon looks sonmewhat concerned about this?

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:20:12 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have learned to care for the sick and hurt animals; I can dress a wound so it does not rot, and know some simple chants to heal minor wounds, but I am no healer of great war wounds.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:15:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John thinks on comment and then as the penny drops laughs aloud, a loud quacking noise "Good description"

He listens to the others talking of abilities and when the discussion turns to healing he adds "I'm about the same, I know a little chant that helps with minor cuts and grazes, but that's about it.

"We'll just have to make sure that if there's any hurting to be done it isn't us."
he finishes and then bursts into another session of quacking laughter.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:33:36 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Everything, walking or immobile, will eventually return to Mother Aldrya after its time is over, and be reborn as new life by its Great Ancestor, be it Falamal, Grandfather Mortal or the Great Egg. Or whatever you tiny swimmers call your feathered ancestor. Zandalin looks at John, but it is difficult to tell whether he is smiling for humans and durulz alike.

So do not worry about injuries, they are just another step towards reunion with the Grower. In any case Zandalin can call forth the Light of Halamalao the Bright One Above, and let it take care of one wound, just in case the wounded one is needed to live to fight another day.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:55:49 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Ah, you mean Ducka Fowl" he says "Gatherer of the souls of the dead who judges when they are worthy of re-hatching." he shakes his head "No, I'd rather spend more time in touch with life before I get in touch with death."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:06:47 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John looks sideways at Zandalin, but when there is no response he shrugs and makes a sighing sound Perhaps it's a language thing he thinks. "So" he says "How are you Orlanthi at party games, have you heard of one called arm wrestling?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:29:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
After a long period of ponderation, during which a careful observer could have noticed a new needle sprouting from Zandalin's head, the Vronkali turns his head towards John, and replies: "It is not a matter of life and death. Halamalao is life for Aldryami and Durulz alike, yet He is Death for trolls and other children of the Taker. Death is no fear for a true child of the Grower, though I must admit that as an evergreen Aldryami I have never experienced a term in the Garden Below like my brown siblings."

"But enough talk. If you wanna play arm wrestling, maybe we can arrange a team. The two of us against any single weaponthane here. Is it fair for you all?"


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:11:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John laughs aloud again "Seems fair enough odds to me, but these fellows might not think so, perhaps if we take an arm each we might get a taker or two? Otherwise I'll happily take anyone on one to one, after all I'm only a little quacker, it's expected I'll loose and by that measure I have nothing to loose!"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:25:18 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The weaponthane who has been speaking with your band laughs at the suggestion of an arm wrestling contest. "Why would I bet with you little web-foot? I am not stupid or drunk enough to take you both on. This man of wood could be as strong as a mighty pine, and you could be tricking me. Or he could be brittle and snap like wood that is too dry, and I would owe a debt to his kin for harming him. There is no dishonour in refusing such a challenge," he says shaking his head. "Perhaps some other contest of strength?" 

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:58:27 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon leans forward, and whispers qietly to Keetfoot "Do you play for pride or money?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:08:00 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald Orldagsson says, “What is strength without skill, or a contest without fun? Perhaps just a friendly contest would be better?”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:20:20 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John's beak drops open at the weaponthane's words "Sir... how could you think I would trick anyone!" He then addresses the weaponthane and the others "We are all friends here and of course I was thinking just of pride.

"So, does anyone know of any games we can try if arm wrestling is out?"


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:09:08 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I did not mean offence," the weaponthane says. "I'm just thinking it would be a fine joke to get me to arm wrestle and lose. I have been caught out with that kind of thing before. It is tried by young warriors because it is thought I am not so smart, but I am wise to it now.
"Maybe we could play a drinking game!"
he adds, his face splitting into a grin, showing several black spaces where teeth should be.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 00:41:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Aside to Hervald "Perhaps my thought to cast a strength spell on the Duck would not be such a good joke after all.  Not that I would do it it they had bet"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 07:37:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"A drinking game it is then!" John agrees "Just a shame I haven't managed to locate a nice path of smoking weed in my travels around the area, nothing better than a stokey with a jug of ale!"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:33:27 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I like One Hundred," the weaponthane says. "It is how I leaned to count that high."

"Careful boys," a clansman says as he passes your bench with several horns of ale. "Brand here often loses count, and that means you have to start again. If you're going to play, be sure to get someone sober to do the counting!" he grins. Brand smiles too.

"Tis true," Brand the weaponthane says. "But it is a fun game if you are not afraid of getting sick later on."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:12:40 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald Orldagsson says, “I will keep count if someone explains the rules.” He has a smile on his face as he is going to enjoy watching this.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:46:26 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Oh, it's quite simple really, that is if you play the simple version. All you do is keep drinking until you can't drink no more, last one standing is the winner.

"Yeah, that's the simple version right enough. We used to play it along with a game called dodge apple, my friends and me. In that version you'd have folk throw apples at you, say three apples a round and you'd have to down a drink for each apple that you didn't dodge."
He looks around at those listening and then makes a sucking noise through his beak "Yeah, that's a complicated version though, better not try that one though, all that throwing and dodging... and counting, don't think that would go down well here, best stick to the easy version." he says with as though butter wouldn't melt in his beak.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:48:35 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Or you can play the version played by grown-ups - you see how much you can drink in the count of one-hundred. The one who drinks the most horns wins." Brand says. "That always sorts the men out from the boys!
"Of course, if you are not up to that we can play drink till you can't, which is what my billed friend here suggests. But we still need someone not to drink, or how will we remember who wins?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:50, Wed 02 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Thur, 03 Apr 2008 09:14:15 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As all vegetable people, I despise drinking the long-decayed offspring of vines, much like our feathered friend would dislike eating eggs that have been rotten for many seasons. And I can count. So Zandalin volunteers to do the book-keeping for your strange games.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Thur, 03 Apr 2008 13:10:38 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
“Oh, I see what you mean!” John says to Brand “I thought you were bragging that you could drink one hundred horns before dropping!”

He then answers Zandalin “Well, some durulz call them a delicacy, I wouldn’t know, I’ve never had that kind of money anyway, but the idea isn’t appealing so I can understand what you mean.

“Right, if you count for us we’ll start with one hundred and then go on to play "till ye drop” that way we can see if the one as can drink quickest is also the one as can drink the most.”


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Thur, 03 Apr 2008 14:18:30 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon thinks to himself "this talking hedge can probably count, but he wont be able to keep the peace if duckboy wins.  I should perhaps maintain a bit of sense incase it gets ugly"  Haakon keeps messing about with the pipes, so he can provide background music to the drinking contest.  He chuckles and says "with you lot drinking so much perhaps my pipes will sound much better!"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:18:34 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"What of you?" Brand asks Vagryr. "Will you join the contest? If not, no matter, but the more the merrier for this kind of game I say!"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:12:52 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I cannot see how drinking oneself ill well serves the clan or gods; if you can tell me one good reason, Brand, I would ruin my glorious morning the 'morrow I will gladly join in."  Vagryr says with a small bit of a smile.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:50:57 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"So be it then, a round of one-hundred with me versus my duck friend!" Brand says happily. "Perhaps you others should all count together, in case you forget where you are or don't know your numbers too good," he then suggests.

"Bring horns of ale!" he shouts, stilling everyone in the hall for a second, then continues as the assembled feasters cheer as they realise a spectacle is about to take place, "We play one-hundred!"

Horns of ale are quickly produced, and Markalor himself strides over and says, "A contest - excellent! Are you ready?"

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:51, Sat 05 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:17:29 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John cracks his beak at Vagryr "Why, isn't it true that the gods themselves, at least the important ones, enjoy their ale? If it's good enough for them then I'll not argue."

Then when Brand asks he replies "My friend I was born ready... and one day I'll learn what for!" with a laugh.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:56:33 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald thinks to himself with a smile, I wonder if someone has a magic chant for a sore duck head and perhaps one for a hangover. He hopes it ends in the fun it was entered into with. He cheers, “Come on John do not quack, get that ale knocked right back!”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:09:11 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon fills the pipes, but just lets the drones make noise, as a background to the contest, keeping the chanter still for now.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:46:22 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Many of the people present at the feast gather round to witness the sport.
Keetfoot John and Brand are handed their first horn each and the count begins…

Keetfoot John please make one resilience test at +30 to your skill, and one normal resilience roll. Also, roll a 1d10 for time.

This message was last edited by the GM at 21:48, Mon 07 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:14:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John throws his head back and attempts to down the horn rapidly, but perhaps it's the volume or the way it pours from these instead of the cups he's used to, whatever it takes him longer than he thought it would.

22:05, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 4 using 1d10. Time.
22:04, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 33 using 1d100. Resilience. Pass intoxication
22:04, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 94 using 1d100. Resilience. Fail time

This message was last edited by the player at 22:17, Mon 07 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:31:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brand gulps his ale quickly - he has obviously played this before, downing his horn by the count of seventeen. Keetfoot John is a whole count of seven slower than Brand, but when Brand called for his next horn he sounded tipsy.
The sound of the pipes certainly sound better after a drink!

OOC: Keetfoot John, please make the rolls again, this time the first test at +20 to skill.
Everyone else feel free to encourage etc.


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:31:44 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin counts: One for the brave avian! If humans were clever enough  to understand vegetable beings' body language, he could even look worried to them.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 02:49:56 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
A bit disapointed that Brand did not try any harder to convinve him to join in, Vagryr contents himself to watch the contest with quiet amusement.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 06:40:04 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
After his disappointment at his first attempt John downs the second with no problem and slamming it down on the table empty his beak cracks open and he says "So, that'sh how you do it."

07:36, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 7 using 1d10. Time.
07:35, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 77 using 1d100. Resilience.
07:35, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 43 using 1d100. Resilience +20.

This message was last edited by the player at 07:42, Tue 08 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:15:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin counts again: One for the mighty weaponthane, two for the clever avian!

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:09:57 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brand's second horn goes down just as quickly as his first - he is now a full twelve counts ahead of Keetfoot John. However he is not holding his booze as well as John, as he is looking a little unsteady.

OOC: Another round of rolls please Keetfoot John, this time the first test is at +10 to skill.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:31:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Two for the staggerin.. erm, the fearless weaponthane!

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:58:40 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John tips another horn down his throat before chiding Brand "You might be faster at the start, but there's still the last duck standing, think you'll last that?"

14:55, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 5 using 1d10. Time.
14:55, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 81 using 1d100. Resilience.
14:55, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 18 using 1d100. Resilience +10.

This message was last edited by the player at 17:53, Tue 08 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:50:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keetfoot John downs a horn more quickly than before and catches up a few counts, but Brand is already on his fourth horn. He definitely looks drunk though.
The crowd gathered around the contest are cheering and jeering - they are split about fifty-fifty in their support for the two.

OOC: Keetfoot John, you are now tipsy (-5% on all skills involving DEX until you sober up). Another round of rolling please - this time the first is a straight roll with no modifier.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:59:32 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John can see this first competition getting away from him and not one to give in easily he decides to spend his talking time swilling the next horn. He certainly feels like he's getting the hang of it as this one goes down even quicker.

17:56, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 1 using 1d10. Time.
17:56, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 86 using 1d100. Resilience (drunkenness).
17:54, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 60 using 1d100. Resilience (get it down).


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 23:10:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The crowd gets more exited as John finishes his fourth horn within three counts of Brand. A couple of the other weaponthanes start to cheer for Keetfoot John. One of them comes over to your band and says, "Brand Brokentooth is a hard man in a fight, and usually a bottomless pit for ale. This duck friend of yours must have a bronze belly to be holding his own against him. Is he a fighter too?"
Brand certainly seems the worse for wear now.

OOC: Another round of rolls please, this time the first test is at -10.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 06:40:58 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Egged on by the cheers and words of those about him John raises another drinking horn and tips his head back. He seems to be handling the effects of the drink, but the shear volume being drunk so rapidly is not something he is used to.

07:28, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 1 using 1d10. Time.
07:28, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 30 using 1d100. Resilience (drunkenness).
07:27, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 85 using 1d100. Resilience (get it down) @ -10


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:56:15 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As the count nears one-hundred excitement mounts as it is close! Brand seems to move to heroic drinking speed when he gulps down his fifth horn in just fifteen counts, and manages to get a few gulps of his sixth!
Keetfoot John does not quite manage to finish his forth horn within the count.

Brand turns to Keetfot John and gives him a hearty slap on the back. "That was a good contest, no? You are quite the drinker despite your size!
"Now, I think I'd better go outside for a bit,"
he adds looking queesy.

The crowd drifts away now the fun is over, but John gets a couple more slaps on the back and kind words for his performance.
Sarask the Dour, the head weaponthane comes over - you realise he'd had no part in the fun. "Ah revellers, remember that you must be fit to speak to Markalor in the morning," the humourless man states before stalking off again.

OOC: Keetfoot John, you are now merry (-10 on all DEX related skills and -1 to SR until you sober up).

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:23, Wed 09 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:47:47 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I'll drink to that!" John replies to Brand's complement and adds his own "The besht human won!" and then as Brand rushes away he adds "I think we can shay he'sh not up for the lasht duck shtanding."

John sits back with a belch filling the air about him with the smell of warmed ale and savours the glowing feeling spreading from his stomach through his body. He simply nods his understanding to Sarask "Have no fear on that, I'll be fine by then."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:12:43 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon sets down the pipes and grins at John "We can carry you if needed.".

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:28:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says, “Hard luck John if we didn’t have to be full of beans on the morrow I reckon you could have taken him if you had played best of three.” Hervald smiles, “I think Brand is going to have a head like a smith’s anvil in the morning. Let’s hope you don’t, my friend. I suggest you eat some bread fried in dripping soak up some of that ale.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:55:34 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin thinks about it for a while, then turns to Haakon. I think we must show some respect for the winner, even though we sided with John. Brand deserves a celebration of his victory. What about playing your pleasant instrument just out of the place he is sleeping in? I think he would really appreciate it. Zandalin shows no emotion, so the others cannot tell if he is speaking seriously or not.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:11:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Carry?!" John says in surprise at Haakon's suggestion "No, no, no, no, I'll be fine. We durulz ish build f' enduransh not f' shpeed ye see."

He slumps further back in his seat as Hervald speaks and then agrees "Yesh, I reckon I'd 'av' 'ad 'im after a few more hornsh 'n' now you menshon it I do feel a might peckish."

Sitting upright John is looking about the room for some tasty morsels when Zandalin speaks and whether it was meant as a joke or not doesn't matter to his alcohol strengthened sense of humour, he bursts into a raucous fit of laughter.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:03:13 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"A fine idea Zandalin, though his sleeping quaters may be right outside judging by how quickly he left. John here seems to have weathered the contest a bit better than mighty Brand. I am impressed fowl friend."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:24:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John hops down from his perch and waddles over to get some get a hunk of bread and some cooked meat, the latter he makes sure is on a good sized bone. Waddling back to join the others he places the meat on top of the bread so that the bread can soak up the juices and starts cutting pieces off with one of his daggers.

"Hard to bite into shtuff without teeth." he says, then after a mouthful adds "Thish is very good 'n' shniff will love the bone."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:02:01 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Gradually things start to quieten down, as feasters begin to depart for the night.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Brand Brokentooth (NPC)
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 00:14:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brand comes back in and staggers over to where you are. He has obviously been puking as he still has a little vomit down his tunic.
“Hey, great game,” he grins. “Never thought you’d win!” He slurs, pointing at John. “You did great! Those guys,” he adds pointing over shoulder at the two weaponthanes and several carls left, “never beat me, and they think they can hold their ale.” Brand sways around a bit. “I gotta sleep – gotta be up in the morning. I reckon I’ll come callin’ for ya come raidin’ time, as you seem to have a pair duck. And ya mates! See ya tomorrow… Them guys will be up all night, but they won’t play ya. Keep ya company though… Urrgh.”With that he makes for the door, but has to be helped out.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:50:38 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As the thane moves off, Haakon puts away the pipes, and makes his way home, calling to the others "See you all in the morning,   Time for another kind of party then!"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:56:59 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Aye, if it'sh raidin' you're after, I'm your durulz! Go careful Brand." John says to the weaponthane and smiles as the warrior stumbles off.

He then says to Haakon "Shleep well tonight and make shure that shquawking creature is shecure!" nodding at the pipes.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:35:27 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald stretches his arms up and behind his head and yawns. His says, “Well my new friends I must go to my slumber. I will see you not long after cock crow on the morrow.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:42:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"See you at dawn." John replies then goes back to finishing his food. He leaves some meat on the bone for Sniff and then takes it to the dog (Who I assume wasn't allowed in to the hall with the cats about?).

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:05:52 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr also prepares to turn in for the night so he will be well rested when he wakes at his normal time before sun rise.

What is this about a filthy dog?

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:32:51 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin, like all green elves, does not really sleep. His race does not do so even during Darkseason, when all other Aldryami go to the World Below. He just sits quietly outside, slowing his metabolic activity in the absence of light, and awaits the Rebirth of Halamalao for his morning worship ceremony.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:16:17 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
A carl from the chieftain's stead leads those of you needing sleep to the house reserved for guests - it is only about ten metres away. He makes sure you have everything you need, and if you do he bids you goodnight.

The guest hall is quite well appointed, with enough room for all to sleep. There is water available, and even two large jugs of small beer in case anyone is thirsty in the night. Someone has even thoughtfully left a spare blanket on the wooden floor for Sniff. There is a small fire, but it has been banked for the night.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Thur, 17 Apr 2008 11:47:17 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John gives the bone to Sniff and scratches him behind the ear "No noise now boy, and don't go playing with the pussy cats." He then climbs into one of the cots and drifts off almost immediately, apparently the sound of teeth gnawing on a bone doesn't count as noise to John or Sniff.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:26:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr bends down to scratch the dog behind it's ear and says to it in a gentle voice "It is lucky for you there are no Alynx in the guest hall, for inside is their domain."

"What is the cur's name?" he asks John.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:35:06 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"He's called Sniff, best nose in the business!" John says as he pulls a blanket over himself, leaving his webbed feet sticking out the bottom.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:59:32 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Sniff, eh? You got a good nose do ya?" Vagryr asks the dog as he scratches it's ear a a bit longer before leaving to turn in.

"And what is his business?" He asks John.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:07:06 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Huh, wha'?" John says sleepily then "He's a hunting dog, he can follow tracks good, set up fowl, whatever!"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:46:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"A Durulz with a fowling dog. Interesting."

"May you all survive the night so that we may observe Elmal banish the darkness in the morning. Perhaps Haakon can play his pipes."


Vagryr settles in to bed.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:26:57 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The night passes peacefully, with only each others' quiet snoring and Sniff's occasional snuffling around to break the silence.
Just before Yelm appears in his skyward ascent at dawn, as if by some sixth sense, the cocks begin to crow and wake everyone up.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:03:34 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
A little bleary John throws his blanket off and waddles outside to look for a water barrel in which to dunk his head.

After a short while he comes in refreshed "Morning comrades, shall we go see what the day and the clan has in store for us?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:54:27 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Needle after needle, Zandalin's foliage recovers the position it usually has during the day. He then stands up and greets Halamalao's rebirth with a brief chant, after which he goes back inside and replies to John: Absolutely. Running errands for these humans will be a pleasure for this son of Vronkal.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:44:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As he is accustomed Vagryr wakes before sunrise and heads outside to observe Elmal's rise, noting that Zandalin also seems to also honor the sun. "Glorious, is not the rise of the sun?" he asks the tree man.

He notes that though John pays no respects to Elmal, he does not seem to use his drinking contest last night as an excuse to laze about in the morning. "Yes, let us see what the day brings."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:36:49 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Glorious, indeed. Call him Elmal or Halamalao, it is He who stands guard against the Darkness.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:13:42 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon stretches for a few moments, then tortures the cat he carries in his bag for a few minutes.  It doesnt sound very good even to him.  He tries to not look to disgusted.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:43:18 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald wakes and gets up straight away. Although he is not a sun worshiper he seems relish being up early. He takes a deep breath and says with great enthusiasm, “Morning all.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:12:11 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Almost as soon as everyone is up and about a teenage boy and girl arrive – the boy carries a stack of wooden bowels under one arm, and a large pitcher of small beer in his other hand. The girl carries a large pot of steaming porridge, and a smaller pail filled with what looks like boiled eggs. “We’ve brought breakfast!” she chimes, setting her load of food on the table.
The boy adds. “Markalor told me to say he would meet with you in his hall one hour after sun up.” With that he sets about serving the food.
The girl goes back outside to Zandalin. “Good sir, my mam said to ask what it is you need to eat sir, as she didn’t know? She says we got anything – fruit, vegetables, clear water fresh from the stream. She knows you won’t take meat – she bid me to run back with the answer so I could be back here quick as lightening!”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:34:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Well, fresh water and Halamalao's bright light alone will sustain me for long days, but it would be impolite to refuse your generous offer. Bring me plenty of water, and a small amount of raw vegetables. I especially appreciate cucumbers.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:34:47 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The girl runs away, to return just a couple of minutes later - although more slowly, as she carries a bucket of water with a wooden mug floating in it, and a bag containing carrots, a turnip, and several onions.
"We don't have any fresh beans, only dried at this time of year, so I didn't bring any," she pants, offering Zandalin the bucket and the bag.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:45:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As a worshiper of the Bright One Above, I prefer those parts of the plant that grow in His light, but these will do. Thank your mother on my behalf.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 13:58:05 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John eats his porridge, pausing now and then to wash mouthfuls down with sips from his cup of small beer.

"So, while we await the meeting, perhaps we can exchange a little more information on our own abilities. I for example prefer to employ stealth and guile if I can and my hunting techniques ten towards trapping. I'm not a great fighter, but if need be I can use my knives. What of the rest of you?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:23:13 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Between one morsel of carrot and another, Zandalin replies: My ability to heal small wounds you already know. For the rest, I can scout, track and disappear  in the woods. And kill swiftly from a distance.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:28:05 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon thinks for a moment, and then replys "Well stealth is not my game,  nor is fighting at a distance.  But I am good with a sword, and Urox has granted me some magic.  I can become stronger, and grow horns, and  can heal a few wounds.  But I must come back to the temple to renew that magic."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:48:32 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says, “I’m a peddler by trade so am learned in evaluation and such like. I carry a staff and sling, but am neither a great strike nor shot.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Brand Brokentooth (NPC)
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:45:51 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As you are eating and talking Brand walks in looking far better than he should do remembering his condition last night.
“Markalor asked me to bring you to him an hour after sun up, since we are all such mates now,” he says grinning, showing his missing teeth. “I came early, as I don’t keep time so good,” he continues. He turns to Keetfoot John: “Great game – I heard this morning I won, though I remember losing it! That’s ale for you though. I definitely lost the last man standing game though after I had to go out, so it’s level. We should have a decider when you get back after your duties.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:28:18 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John greets the warrior "Good morning to you Brand. Indeed you won the one hundred, but you had to... urm... rush off." the durulz says with no hint of sarcasm in his voice. "A decider it is on our return."

John finishes his meal he asks "Things have been quiet lately I hear, our duties should be easy if it continues so."

This message was last edited by the GM at 22:34, Mon 21 Apr.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:59:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon looks at John "And what glory is there in a quiet patrol?  I did not follow the Great Horned One to sit at home and  stay safe!".

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Brand Brokentooth (NPC)
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:19:10 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Patrol is always easy... However, John, you should never assume so - I have known thanes killed on patrol when it shouldn't have been so!" Brand says.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 01:27:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Where do they sing songs of your glory if your home is no more?" Vagryr asks Haakon. "Markalor has a task for us, we ought do our best for clan. He will recognise those who do their tasks well, and give to them work that befits them. If you are a good warrior, he will find you good war, I am sure of it."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:58:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I'll heed your warning Brand, with hope it will go quietly, but there is no point tempting fate.

"Now tell me, is there anything that you can tell us of the outlying steds, who should we look out for, and have you any messages you'd like passed on?"


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Brand Brokentooth (NPC)
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 00:41:55 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"No, all our people are as they should be, but you will learn that as you go."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Thur, 24 Apr 2008 19:33:26 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Hervald after finishing off his breakfast dusts himself off and tries to flatten down his hair with a bit of spit on the palm of his hand. He says, “Shall we go and present ourselves to Markalor now. I think he likes if you’re a bit early, well I know he’ll hate it if we are late.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Thur, 24 Apr 2008 21:28:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Let's go find him, then. The vegetables were excellent, as the hospitality. It is high time we repay our debt to our host.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:34:26 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"By all means, lets us be early, tiss better to be thought to eager than backwards!">  Haakon gathers up his small about of gear and gets ready to move out.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:48:02 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Once breakfast is over, Brand leads you back to Markalor’s hall. It is much tidier than last time you saw it, and there are considerably fewer people to. Present apart from yourselves are Markalor, Miltra Elnorsdotter, Enestaki Iskallusson, and Sarask the Dour, and of course a couple of girls fetching and carrying.
“Ah, our fearless fyrdsmen!” Miltra says as you enter.
“Good. Brand, go round up the others, we’ve got something to do later,” Sarask spits, and Brand turns right around and leaves.
“Be seated,” Markalor says to you all. “You of course all owe duty, or are guests of the clan, who for one reason or another have either asked, or have been asked,” he looks at Keetfoot John at this point, “to take part in a fyrd patrol of our tula. Of course our weaponthanes keep us free from raids, but I like to make sure at least once in every fyrdsman’s life they visit every stead on our land and get to know every part of our tula. This is your opportunity for this. It will also help each of you in your trades I am sure as you will see the way others farm their land, or see what crafts they can do so you know who should trade with who.
“Head north west from my stead to the Oddusson stead first, then ford the stream south of there and go to the Falkitisson stead. After you have been there continue south on to the Enentsson farmlands.
“Next you must head east, but stay south of the stream to the Iskallusson stead, and then to the Karendrosson land. Then go north avoiding the marsh to Miltra here’s stead, and then back west to here – again, avoid the marsh unless you want to get your feet wet.
“Spend a night at each stead and get to know the people – they know they must offer kin hospitality to fyrdsmen on duty. You know many of them already I am sure.
“Are there any questions you need to ask before you set out? One of my girls,”
he gestures to the teenage girls working in the hall, “will take you to get supplies for today's walk in a moment.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:25:44 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald ask the chieftain, “May I speak to you and Enestaki about a matter of commerce?”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:26:13 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"You may," Markalor says. "Remain a moment when we are done as our trade is not for all ears. There must yet be questions from these youthful warriors…”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:52:13 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
“Are there any messages or news you would have us carry to the steads?” John asks, “Or any information in particular that you would have us gather during our travels?”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:40:43 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Markalor grins at you, “Three of the steads you visit are home to members of your band, besides there is little news that wasn’t exchanged at the moot and market these last two days.
“Besides that, I want you to form your own conclusions on each of the steads, and the people there – each is different in some way, but together we all make our clan.”


With that you are shown out into the blustery morning. While Hervald is kept back to discuss trade, the rest of you are left to wait while a teenage girl runs to get your sack lunch for today.

[Private to Hervald Orldagsson: Hervald, check your PMs.]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:01:02 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Urox is busy today, a good sign to start under!  "  Haakon considers a little music to start the day, but decides that some heads may not be ready for it just yet.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Fri, 02 May 2008 20:18:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Yes, a good sign indeed. I look forward to learning more of our lands. Let us set off if we are all prepared." Vagryr fills his waterskin and readies his bag, his sheild and his spears.

[Private to GM: Is food supplied for the trip? - I didn't purchase rations. Or should we rely on the hospitality of the steads? Thanks.]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 02 May 2008 20:43:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald comes out of the hall after his words with the chieftain just as the stead girls return with a couple of bags and a skin. One contains a loaf for each of the humans and the durulz, some salted meat, some cheese, a gauze covered pot of pickles and four apples. The second bag contains some carrots, a turnip, and a couple of apples and onions. Presumably this is for Zandalin. The skin contains small ale.
"These should last you until tonight's meal at the Faltikisson stead." the eldest girl says with a smile.

[Private to Vagryr Gothroldsson: You get kin guest rights while on fyrd duty, so you get fed and somewhere to sleep.]

[Private to Hervald Orldagsson: You can still buy salt (let me know via PM if you want some). The first stead is where you are from - it is your grandfather's.]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 02 May 2008 20:52:28 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Thank you Missy" John says "We better be getting along as it might take a little longer to get anywhere at my pace."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Fri, 02 May 2008 21:36:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin slings his bow over his shoulder and replies to John: "Do not be ashamed of your short legs, o feathered one. In the forest we use to say: What could the tall fir do if the humble bush did not guard his roots?" With this the Vronkali starts walking at a steady pace towards the first destination of the party's journey, neither rushing not taking it too easy.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sat, 03 May 2008 03:16:08 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Seeing the treeman takeing point, Haakon moves a bit out to the right side.  Even though it is friendly ground, he doesnt want to develop sloppy fieldcraft.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sat, 03 May 2008 19:06:09 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says to the group, “we should get some good home cooking on this trip, at the first stead because it is my home and at the rest because I have salt to trade.” He smiles “Old man Faltikisson will love to hear of the mighty duel of drink between John and Brand. It will be good to go and see him, he will know doubt tell everybody about how he use to tan my hide for throwing cow pats at the old spinsters.”

This message was last edited by the player at 20:07, Sat 03 May.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Mon, 05 May 2008 14:29:52 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
After gathering some of the days provisions into his bag Vagryr takes up position to a bit behind and left of Zandalin and left of Haakon. He is pleased to be learning more of the clan's land, and keeps an eye out for good ground for laying ambushes and defending the clan, trying to remember as much as he can.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Mon, 05 May 2008 17:29:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I like the sayings of your people Zandalin." John replies and then takes a position in the middle of the group as they move off.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Mon, 05 May 2008 20:17:38 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
You set out towards the first stead you are to visit. You take it slowly as it is only a few miles away and you have the best part of the day. It would be impolite to arrive before the midday meal as such has already been provided for you. At first you walk past the hides of land that have been ploughed for crops. It is quite muddy given the rainy time of year.
Soon the fields give way to open woodland.

[Private to Vagryr Gothroldsson: You expect the crops to start shooting within the next week or so.]

[Private to Haakon Great Ax; Hervald Orldagsson; Vagryr Gothroldsson: You know that there is a large bowl shape in the ground (a doline) sacred to Ernalda a little to the north. You have time to visit it if you wish]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Mon, 05 May 2008 20:59:17 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon lloks to the north.  "We should take the time to visit Ernaldas doline while we are in the area.  It is not like we are pressed for time".

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Mon, 05 May 2008 21:11:26 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"A fine idea Haakon, it would be foolish not to pay our respects to the Allmother so close to when the crops sprout."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Mon, 05 May 2008 23:00:36 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says, “I agree, even if the doline was a little out the way we should go. If we pass other such things - even if only sacred to one of our group we should make the effort to visit. I think the chieftain would like us to anyway.”

Hervald starts singing a children’s harvest song. He looks to Haakon to strike up the pipes.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Tue, 06 May 2008 03:40:50 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As bad pipes are always better than no pipes, and long walks can get very booring, Haakon pulls out his pipes and has a go at it.  Of course, he still watches his area of resposibility.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Tue, 06 May 2008 16:02:54 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr, who takes his first clan patrol very seriously, frowns at Haakons actions but does not say anything. Surely the pipes will warn of their coming and make it hard to hear anything.

Hopefully the awful sound will not offend Ernalda.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Tue, 06 May 2008 16:20:47 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Haakon!" John shouts, and when the sound subsides to a gentle mewing he finishes "Surely the good lady will not take kindly to a sound not unlike that of a herd being butchered where they stand?"

And then he adds "Can it be played quietly, perhaps with some grass stuffed in one of it's legs?" and it isn't clear from his tone whether John is fooling or serious.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 07 May 2008 00:39:35 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
You arrive at the doline… It is a big bowl on the ground, about twenty metres deep and fifty across. While you know it is sacred to Ernalda, it does not seem special today.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Wed, 07 May 2008 13:27:27 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr pays proper respects and asks for some blessings before continuing on towards the first stead.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Fri, 09 May 2008 00:44:15 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
After stopping for your midday meal you travel out of the open woodland and into heath. The wind occasionally gusts, but the sky does not look as stormy as it usually does at this time of year.
Soon the land turns to agricultural as you get closer to the Oddusson stead.
Once the stead is in sight you can see it is not up to the standard of the chieftain’s stead, nor of the steads the clan members of your party grew up in. The stockade around the stead hall and other buildings is not in great repair – the live wattle (OOC: where living trees are cut and woven to make a fence) of some of it is becoming too leafy and overgrown. The hall itself has seen better days, and some of the animal houses are little more than lean-to huts.
As you arrive – unchallenged – a herd of unwashed and barefoot children run out from the stockade and follow you in the last few metres…
“Hey look there’s Hervald the peddler,” calls one of the older children, then sings on, “He wants to sell what he brings, and wears ladies under things!” A tune which is soon taken up by a couple of other children!
Another of the older (they look about ten years old or so) kids points to Zandalin. “That must be the bark man my dad said he saw at the moot! Here mister tree,” he addresses Zandalin. “Did your mum put you in poo when you was a nipper so you’d grow big and strong?” (Zandalin will need a language roll to understand what is said.)
One of the smaller kids – she is maybe four – begins flapping her arms and waddling behind Keetfoot John, saying, “Quack quack! Quack quack!”
You can see a man, probably a carl try to hide a smile and go into the hall while all this goes on. A few seconds after, a thin old and dishevelled man comes out and starts towards your band.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Fri, 09 May 2008 02:18:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr looks around at the sorry state of the stead and moves over next to Hervald, quietly asking him "Is this stead always so poorly cared for, or is there something wrong of late?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Fri, 09 May 2008 15:59:08 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald sings out in a friendly fashion to the urchins, “They maybe ladies under things but at least there are not the only things I own!”
He wishes he had bought with him some cheap jewellery and horse tack to sell.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 09 May 2008 16:07:01 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John stops abruptly and turns hi head back and forth in an exaggerated fashion as though straining to hear something. He then leans down and places his head between his legs to look behind himself and says "Quackety, quack, quack to you too little lass, I didn't know you could speak durulz!" and then laughs, a sound more like quacking than either the girl or he had so far made.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Mon, 12 May 2008 00:28:37 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
On hearing Hervald’s words the children who had been chanting hoot with laughter, “He admits it, he wears ladies under things!” one yells, and they all laugh.
The little girl is fascinated by Keetfoot John’s laughter, and sits down and tries to per Sniff. “What’s ’is name Quackquack?” she asks.

The wizened old coot from the hall finally reaches your band…
“Oi!” he shouts at the kids. “Is that how you greet honoured guests? What if young Haakon there pulled out an axe and cut you? It would be no more than you deserve, and you’d be dead, and then your mums would be right mad at you!” He looks quite flustered, and the kids look chastened, but also look as if they’ve heard this a thousand times before.
“If’n you ask stupid questions of that honoured al-dree-am-ay there he might plant you in the ground. Unlike his folk though, you won’t grow up out of it, ’cos you’ll be dead. What would you do then, huh? And if you taunt the peddler, you gets low standard goods. Is that what you want? You grow up and your wife boxes your ears because you can only get goods half as good as the neighbours? Go on, scram, fore I gives you what for!”
As all the kids except the little girl playing with Sniff scatter away, the old man turns to you. “Sorry about that friends, they’re just high spirited is all,” he grins. “I’m Odda Oddasson, grandpappy of this here stead. Come on inside, I’ve got some refreshment for you… And some words.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Mon, 12 May 2008 01:25:40 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I am Vagryr Gothroldsson, and we welcome your hospitality. Let us go inside and have the refreshment and words of which you speak." Vagryr hopes, though doubts, the inside of the Hall is in better shape than the outside. If this stead's condition is the result of laziness he does not understand how good followers of Orlanth could let it get this bad. Perhaps they haven fallen prey to the lies of Dragonspeakers he thinks to himself, and starts to keep an eye out for any evidence of serpentine influence.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 14 May 2008 19:21:01 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The old guy leads you inside the shabby-looking hall...
Inside the fittings are also a bit beaten up.

OOC: Please make a perception roll. I will add the modifiers myself.

Ale is brought to you by stead women - it is of surprisingly good quality. Better in fact than that served to you at the chieftain's stead. Cool water is brought for Zandalin.
"Again, my and my family's apologies for the behaviour of the kids," Odda begins. "Too much Squirrel Eater blood in 'em," he grins, and earns himself a very dirty look from one of the stead women. "Still, drink up. There's plenty more where that came from. Now, indulge an old man a little and tell me how such a... ah, err... disparate band come to be doing this season's fyrd patrol?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Wed, 14 May 2008 21:28:22 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"What was bad in the children's behaviour? A seed that does not shake its cotyledons produces a bush where a tree could have grown. Words have never hurt anyone, except in his pride. And pride regrows faster than prairie weeds after a fire." Zandalin replies. "As for my being here, the Council of Gradeners in the Elder Wilds decreed that friendship betweeen the Forest and the human clans be sealed by offers of mutual help. I am here to provide help. Perhaps one of those little scoundrels will one day travel to the Wilds and reciprocate."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Thur, 15 May 2008 14:38:24 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says to the old man smiling, “The chieftain wanted me to go on fyrd patrol to gain experience in trade and talk, but unfortunately I am not doing very well as your youngsters seem to have bested me with their wit. Perhaps later we can talk trade as I have some top quality salt from Enestaki’s store.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Thur, 15 May 2008 15:47:23 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vagryr explains to Zandalin: "Among our people it is customary to show hospitality and respect to guests. It is right to teach children proper manners." No children of mine will behave as such he thinks to himself. "But they are children and will act as such, Odda has given them good guidance as an elder should, and I am sure they grow to have proper manners with his teaching. Children will be children after all, and should be wild. It is in our blood - Orlanth himself was brash and wild in his youth. It is not like we are Darra Happans after all."

"Or Wyrmfriends." He watches his host carefully for a reaction.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Thur, 15 May 2008 16:18:01 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Well I'm just along to help out, a return of assistance for the friendship shown to myself by the clan." John says as he completes his scan around the building with the practised eye of one used to making quick appraisals of wealth.

"As for the children, manners is good, but they seemed not to have bad intent behind their words and actions so no offence taken on my part at least."

17:09, Today: Keetfoot John rolled 11 using 1d100. Perception.


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 18 May 2008 00:08:42 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Odda smiles at Hervald, “Yeah, they’ll do that – at least you gave up before they started slinging mud. We gots to breed ’em feisty or when it comes time to wield a spear they won’t have the heart for it!”
To Keetfoot John he says, “Wise words friend durulz. We see fair more of your people up here than the other steads. They come downstream every year to trade with us, it is nive to meet you.” Then he addresses the group as a whole again, “I know Markalor won’t have given you no news so soon after moot, so I knows there’s no business you’re bringing. But I’ve got a request – just the sort of thing you fellows are sent to us for, and another… possibility. If you’re interested?”

[Private to Hervald Orldagsson; Keetfoot John; Vagryr Gothroldsson: You notice that although the furniture and general state of the hall is shabby, there are a few cushions of finest silk – a great luxury – the wall hangings are particularly fine, and you can see Odda’s sheathed sword on a fine leather belt hanging on the back of his chair has an iron crosspiece suggesting the blade is iron, and gold worked into the pommel, with gold threading around the leather of the grip. This is a high status weapon indeed! ]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 18 May 2008 00:34:56 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
akon grins "But of course.  I dont believe we are just supposed to stroll about and mostly meet folks we already know.  "  Haakon thinks to himself, at last now we can have some fun.  I have been waiting two whole months to show off these great new horns.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 18 May 2008 17:37:06 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin nods, slowly and silently.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Sun, 18 May 2008 19:56:44 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John is deep in contemplation when Odda makes his request and it takes Haakon's response to bring him out of his thoughts. "Oh yes, sure we can help you, that's what were here for after all.

"That is I think we can, if you could tell us a little more about the job?"


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sun, 18 May 2008 20:36:04 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says, “I agree with John.” Hervald curtly nods to John and continues, “We must know the task before we can agree to help.” He smiles and says, “I don’t think we could pass for a troupe of minstrels or beat a troll in a drinking competition, but I’m sure we should be able to help.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 18 May 2008 22:54:18 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Well the first thing is this," the old boy says. "I need some help bringing in an outlaw for my wife's kin over in them Squirrel Eaters." Again, he gets a look from one of the women - presumably from her age, his daughter.
"It should only take a couple of hours in the morning - I can't ask most of my kin because they want to take him in as kin, or wants to kill him as an outlaw - but I owes it to the wife to capture him and take 'im back. That and the fact the Long Hills is where we gets most of our wives.
"The guy was a cottar, but stole two sheep, as was proven. Instead of making recompense as their clan ring judged, he stole some more and came over here. We turned him away - but took the sheep... and gives most of 'em back. He wouldn't hear of doing right and hid in our woods. Been there a week. I'll arm up in the morning and we can go get 'im, yes?
"One thing though - we gotta take 'im alive!
"The other thing, we can talk about once we done this 'un."


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 18 May 2008 23:21:54 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Well, that seems to be in our resposibilities" says Haakon, "But alive depends as much on him as us.  I certainly will not harm one who is not fighting back, but wont take a sword blow unanswered.    Is bleeding some OK with you??

Haakon looks forward to doing something he is good at, but doesnt want to sound to blood thirsty.  And really doesnt want to spill close boold anyway.

"Perhaps I can play my pipes by him, and he will give up if I quit?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Sun, 18 May 2008 23:25:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Realizing that others may not know just how poor he is with the pipes, Haakon gets them out and howls away for a minute.

OOC 24 on 14.

"See what I mean?".

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Sun, 18 May 2008 23:49:57 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says, “I understand the complexity of the situation.” He quickly glances at the stead woman and raises his eyebrows to the old men he continues, “Perhaps we could talk him into coming with us,” he pauses, “or perhaps Sniff could track him in the dark and we could sneak upon him.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Mon, 19 May 2008 01:20:21 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Of course you have our help" Vagryr tells Odda "Though I would recommend we use Haakon's pipes only as a last resort."

Then to Hervald he adds "I would not be so quick to discount our feathered friend John here against a troll in a contest of drink."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Mon, 19 May 2008 07:43:00 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Moving unseen and unheard in the woods is a Vronkali task. Consider it done."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Mon, 19 May 2008 08:51:43 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Seems simple enough to me, as it stands. As for Sniff tracking him, might work, but only if we had something that smells of him for Sniff to know what to follow."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 21 May 2008 18:53:39 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"I don't want to take him at night like a troll. He has honour even if he is a fool who refused to pay his fines," the old man explains. "Your dog - is he any good at tracking compared to a cat?" he asks Keetfoot John.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Wed, 21 May 2008 19:07:46 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Well he don't do too much tracking, some, but mostly he fetches any fowl I manage to down with a sling, which isn't too much the way I shoot.

"If you've a good tracking cat you're used to then we might be better relying on that."


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Wed, 21 May 2008 23:14:33 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
You chat some more until the evening meal. These people serve you more than the usual amount of meat. The quality of the food is not only impressive, it is a little excessive.

[Private to Zandalin Greatroot: You actuallly get something close (but not quite) aldryami quisine. ]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Thur, 22 May 2008 08:43:36 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"You honour us with such a spread" John says to the old man "I must admit I thought that away from the moot fair would be simpler and less lavish, but if anything you outdo even that!

"This is a rich clan indeed to have such wealth in both people and fair spread through it's steads if all are as kind as yours."


[Private to GM:
John watches the faces of the clan members as he speaks, suspecting that there is some secret behind this seemingly out of place wealth amongst the surroundings.
And....
My first fumble :P
09:41, Today: Secret Roll: Keetfoot John rolled 100 using 1d100. Perception (vs 44).
]

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Thur, 22 May 2008 19:17:55 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says jokingly. “Perhaps they want to fatten some of us up!” he points at the cooking fire. He than adds, “Have you heard the old saying? Skin and bone and the uz will leave you alone. Big and fat, they’ll eat you and your cat!” A concerned look comes across his face, “A group of trolls tried to eat my sister once… took the stead two seasons and all its magic to nurse the trolls back to health…”

He then says to John, “Tell me do you know Wilms Webfoot?”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Thur, 22 May 2008 19:27:48 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John laughs and then replies "Don't worry, Haakon's got his troll scarer. And no don't know 'em, though the name sounds familiar."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Thur, 22 May 2008 20:21:30 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
As the evening becomes night you are provided bedding. Odda explains you are staying here in his hall, and that Sniff the dog is welcome too - even if it puts the cat's noses out of joint!
"We'll discuss plans for running the scalliwag down in the morning," Odda says just before he retires for the night.

OOC: You are pretty much left to your own devices until morning.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Fri, 23 May 2008 04:42:33 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon sits in the dark, and practices fingering the chanter for a while, but plans on sleepng early, as he is sure that there will be action of some sort in the morning.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 23 May 2008 09:11:58 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Once they are left alone John gathers the others about and talks quietly to them "Did anyone else notice the strange mix here? The stead looks a bit shabby in places not exactly affluent, but certain things stand out as signs of great affluence.

"I would suggest that they were either once more affluent and times have become harder, or the opposite, they have come upon a way of acquiring significant wealth. I suspect the latter is the case, after all the feast was most impressive, certainly not what I would expect from a stead on hard times."


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Fri, 23 May 2008 10:15:34 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"And the food was... excellent, but unusual for humans." Zandalin adds. "Plant life is in good health all around, I checked earlier. All looks well, but not everything is as it should be. I suspect there is more than meets the eye here."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Fri, 23 May 2008 14:22:46 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everyone can tell by Hervald’s face that he is concerned by what John and Zandalin have suggested. However by the time he comes to speak his diplomat’s face and the keenness in his eye has returned.

Hervald says, “I’m sure things are fine here. So they would rather go hunting and cattle
Raiding than farm the land they own.”
He smiles, “Has anyone thought that the stead is in the condition it is in to act as subterfuge against raiders - after all they are on the borders of the tula. I’m pretty sure if there was anything amiss here we would know. After all they are part of our Clan and many nearly kin to some of us. I heard nothing at the moot and I have seen and felt nothing amiss here. I could be wrong though and we could have roused their suspicion looking for something that’s not necessarily here.”

This message was last edited by the player at 20:06, Fri 23 May.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Sun, 25 May 2008 10:37:21 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Well I haven't been snooping, I simply looked about when invited in as would be expected, so I think it safe to say I haven't raised any suspicions.

"If they obtained these rich trinkets through raiding the question is from who? The silks and hangings are exotic, who round here would have those in the first place and if stolen would not try to recover them?

"I'm not suggesting they are doing anything bad for the clan, or even that we should investigate, but we should at least raise it when we return."


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 25 May 2008 10:40:51 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Or before we leave. I start wondering why a cottar should become an outcast for a couple of sheep. What if Odda did not tell us the entire truth?"

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Vagryr Gothroldsson
Mon, 26 May 2008 13:20:45 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"The state of this stead, from the fields to the wattle the houses, speaks to me of laziness. I am of the belief that the gods reward hard work and good service; it is wise to suspect the means by which lazy men get wealth.

"It is possible Hervald is right, they may just prefer taking from others by force. As long as those others are our enemies there is no harm done. We have been asked by Markalor to aid the steads and report back to him. I say we should do just that.

"Though I agree there is more to this story than our host tells us, we honor Odda's request so long as it is not illegal or against the clan, and report all that we find back to Markalor. Let us just be a bit more alert while here."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Mon, 26 May 2008 17:31:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says,”Sorry John, I did not mean to suggest you have been snooping but as you and Zandilin, I believe are only friends of the clan so you may not understand,” He pauses and smiles,"I will give you an example, when we get to the next stead which is my home what happens if you were to see they same things there?” He giggles slightly maybe a private joke. As he speaks again he looks at the two other clan members “Haakon and Vagryr might have kin here?” he looks at them to see if there is any reaction. “Even if they don’t, these people stand in the shield wall with us in time of strife. I say this to the two non clan members - what happens what if we meet Yerestus Maniskisson - how would you judge our clan than?”

He stretches his arms out and yawns

“As I understand it this cottar is outlaw because he will not submit to the Squirrel Eaters clan ring judgement, and Odda is getting nagged into the ground by the wives who have married into his family from the Squirrel Eaters so he can’t do right from wrong which is why we have been ask to help. If you want an Issaries follower’s opinion of these people they are quite rich, and they are just scruffy - probably from the influence of the Squirrel Eaters. Their fine goods probably came from Enestaki Iskallusson; Odda may have gone on a caravan with him. I agree we should always be on the look out and I might have read the situation completely wrong, but when it comes to the clan we should see the best in them before we see the worst. If you would like, I can see if I could use a bit of silver tongue on Odda in the morning? You never know there might be something amiss here or a chance to make some coin. While we should report most things to Markalor I think what Odda will tell him about us is more important.”

This message was last edited by the player at 23:30, Mon 26 May.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Tue, 27 May 2008 01:01:03 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
The night passes without any incident or disturbance, and you awake to find an excellent breakfast of sausages, porridge, and small beer awaiting you. Zandalin is of course provided with vegetables and water, and for the first time visiting with the clan, some herbs.
You are joined at breakfast by Odda’s household. Most of them stay quiet however as he discusses his plan. “I reckon I know where Enerin is holed up. He’ll be up in the pines north of here. It won’t take long to get there, and the cats – and the dog – shouldn’t take long to sniff him out.
“Now, you got a right to know the full story, because of what I’m going to ask you… See, it wasn’t just that he tried to pass off some sheep as his own. He said he didn’t have to answer their traditional laws as the rest of the clan didn’t follow the cosmic dragon or some such rubbish. I reckons he got to talkin’ too much with them wyrm friend tax collectors as was through here last year! Anyways, he’s my wife’s sister’s boy, and I’ve promised to take him alive – I’ve promised to pay off his fines, and he’ll be given parole under me until he learns the error of his ways, and sees this dragon cult as what it is.
“Now, as you know the full story, and you know I have oathed to take him alive, I must ask you that when we capture him, you keep your weapons in their sheaths. He is not a warrior, so there should be little risk with all of us against him.”


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Tue, 27 May 2008 21:25:14 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
John considers a while before responding "Well you have my assistance and though I've given no such oath I will do my best to respect yours. However, I've heard these fork tongued fools can become quite mad so I'll not promise I won't defend myself if I have to."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Initiate of Issaries,
Thur, 29 May 2008 18:28:35 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald says, “I will do my utmost to help you and honour you oath but must concur with John in his regard to self preservation. As I said yesterday I can try and beguile him but if his head in filled with this wyrm gobbledegook this may be hard. Hervald looks around at the group, he studies Haakon and Vagryr slightly longer than the rest. “I bet the fool can not even calculate strength if confronted with it head on, with this in mind Odda what can unharmed mean?”

OOC

Hervald will speak to Odda on his own at the first opportunity.


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Thur, 29 May 2008 23:11:54 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Unharmed means you do not injure him, other than grapple or punch or kick. Of course, if he draws a blade, my oath is nothing and you must draw your's in self defence." He says.
“Half an hour then,” Odda says, and goes off to get ready. As he leaves, Hervald takes a minute to talk privately with him – probably about the trade he asked about yesterday.

Odda soon returns and is wearing a mail coat, and carrying a round shield, as well as his sword. “Got to look hard or what’s the point?” he quips. “Ready?” Two alynx – one male and one female are with him.

OOC: Are you ready to go? You have 30 minutes to deal with anything you want to do at the stead before leaving with Odda, or discuss anything among yourselves.

This message was last edited by the GM at 00:26, Fri 30 May.



===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Haakon Great Ax
Fri, 30 May 2008 14:00:38 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Haakon shakes his head and mutters to himself "Damned lizard kissers are showing up everywhere."

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Keetfoot John
Wandering Durulz, Narrow Stream Clan Friend
Fri, 30 May 2008 15:32:31 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"True I'm afraid." John agrees "Still, perhaps this one has a chance of being taught the error of his ways at least."

OOC: I'm ready.


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Hervald Orldagsson
Initiate of Issaries,
Fri, 30 May 2008 21:49:42 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hervald talks to the group so that no outsiders can hear, “I have learnt from Odda about some activity of the EWF. He told me that all the clans in the vicinity have had visits from missionaries and tax collectors, as they claim the area as part of their empire. Some further away clan who refused to pay taxes were forced to pay by soldiers.” He continues in a lighter vein “I think Yinkin may have more than a passing interest in this stead as the cats Odda’s has are very fine indeed.”

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sat, 31 May 2008 09:44:25 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Cat breeding might explain the clan wealth. At least I hope so.

ooc: Zandalin is ready to go

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sat, 31 May 2008 21:26:49 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Odda leads you north west about a mile into a pine forest. He lets the cats go, so they can find the scent of the man being hunted.

OOC: If any of you want to try any hunting type skills, now is the time to.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Zandalin Greatroot
Vronkali wanderer,
Sun, 01 Jun 2008 09:16:19 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin starts examining the environment for tracks, and apparentrly finds something interesting. His acute Aldryami senses are alerted, too.

11:13, Today: Zandalin Greatroot rolled 46 using 1d100. Perception.
11:13, Today: Zandalin Greatroot rolled 11 using 1d100. Tracking.


===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 01 Jun 2008 21:24:13 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
Zandalin spots a deer path that looks like something other than a deer has followed it - the undergrowth around it has been disturbed, and there are broken shoots of bramble, which deer never do. The cats sense it at the same time, as does sniff, and they run off, obviously following a scent.

===========================================================
Re: Clan Duty by Yelm (GM)
GM,
Sun, 01 Jun 2008 23:55:53 GMT
-----------------------------------------------------------
OOC: This thread continues on the 'The Hunt For Enerin' thread.
Please move there.


===========================================================


Home.